Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Theocratic Mafia

It is a family tradition that whenever there is a special talk/assembly/etc, we enjoy catching it in English. Though we are currently serving in a Spanish congregation, I do consider English to be the "language of my heart." I got baptized in English, started pioneering in English, and still study in English for meetings.  I feel like I can grasp the information 100% when I listen in my mother tongue.

That being said, Sunday April 3, 2016 was the worldwide Special Talk that was the follow-up to the global Memorial all of Jehovah's Witnesses and interested ones enjoyed on March 23rd. We as a family decided to make it to an English meeting for the Special Talk, but opted out of attending the local English congregation. Piling into the car, we drove almost 50 minutes to a congregation that we hadn't visited in quite a few years. Entering the Kingdom Hall, we were welcomed by some old friends of ours. As we made our way inside,  we came across a good friend of ours who amusedly informed us that due to that congregation having their circuit overseer's visit, the Special Talk would be postponed until the following Sunday.

I will admit, the first few minutes of the brother's first talk flew past me. I sat still, pen in hand, not sure if to feel joyous of hearing an English CO after so long or disappointed that that wasn't the Special Talk. I looked over at my mom, noting her serene smile. I looked the other way, and saw the sister next to me with a similar facial expression. I gave a Nehemiah-type prayer right there and then to help me focus and enjoy, which I thoroughly did!

But that's not the point of this post. Rather, that was to get you to the scene of this mini anecdote. My apologies if that felt long-winded; I just think in detail ahaha.

The focus and reason for this post was regarding the next portion of the meeting, the Watchtower study. Whenever it's the CO visit, the study gets abbreviated so as to allow time for the brother's ending talk. The Watchtower conductor, a brother I've worked with and around since my early (then)RBC days, was at paragraph 7 of that week's study. The question: Why does the preaching work bring us joy? After the audience's comments, he stated this next bit. I've attempted to write it as he said it, verbatim.

"Let me share with you a 30 second experience a brother shared with me. He was at Warwick last week and he was telling me about how he served in South America, in Guyana. He mentioned how he stayed with another brother in a small village and went by boat to an even smaller village. A man flagged them down and said 'Hey, I want to learn more, got anything on spiritism, I wanna know!' Now they had their first Memorial and had 19 in attendance."

Guyana! Who else but Charlie Brohard was at Warwick the past few weeks?! Who else was the brother he stayed with but Josh Westfall?! What other small village but Orealla, and what first Memorial but Siparuta?!? The brother continued the study, but I found myself in tears.

You're probably wondering at the meaning of this blog's title. Theocratic Mafia. That's a term my family uses to refer to the intimacy and sense of connection among Jehovah's people. Wherever you go in the world,  you will meet someone who (1) knows you, (2) knows a friend/family member of yours, or (3) has heard about you somehow. Like the Mafia, we're everywhere and super tight.

I felt the deepset connection as the brother told that mini experience. To be a part of something so much bigger...to firsthand have seen the reception of that tiny village and in a relatively short time see such progress...it's indescribable. The feeling of awe and closeness is irreplaceable. We are truly a family.

Well, I know this wasn't EXACTLY an adventurous adventure, but I hope you enjoyed this blog Nibblet! Jehovah's blessings and stay tuned for the next post!

Love,

The Adventurous A.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoying your post. What's funny is I am in josh westfulls congregation in Ohio and just saw Charlie last week at assembly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Hahaha and I never viewed it that way...it's so true! The great thing is, everyone has exoerienced this in some way or another making it something EACH of us experience EVERYHWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! Hahaha and I never viewed it that way...it's so true! The great thing is, everyone has exoerienced this in some way or another making it something EACH of us experience EVERYHWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Student to Student

How important something is to us determines the plasticity of our brain and function..."   - Dr. Andrew Huberman Something that you sho...